Connecting Matters. Where do you draw the line?

An alcohol emergency is a situation you can face whether or not you drink. A BAC above 0.06, what some call the "Red Zone," is where the negative effects of alcohol begin to set in. The effects range from slurred speech to death, increasing in severity as BAC increases.

When you’re with someone who’s drunk, you don’t know if their condition will worsen.

  • Their BAC may still be increasing, but you have no way of telling how much alcohol is in their system.
  • It’s hard to distinguish between “had too much and needs to stop before it gets worse” versus “had too much and needs help ASAP.”

How you help depends on the person’s condition. When in doubt, it is best to err on the side of caution and call Public Safety by dialing 911 (on campus, it will connect to Public Safety).


Alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency.

Immediately call P-Safe if the person has one or more of these four symptoms (Remember to think of C-U-P-S):

C - Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin.

U - Unresponsive; you cannot wake them up by shaking them or calling their name.

P - Puking without waking up.

S - Slow or irregular breathing of less than 8 times per minutes or 10 seconds between breaths.

While you wait for P-Safe to arrive,

  • Continue efforts to wake the person
  • Make sure they are lying on their side in the recovery position to prevent choking on vomit.
  • Closely monitor breathing and perform CPR if breathing stops. If you don’t know CPR, find someone who does.


While these symptoms may not be alcohol poisoning, they are still a cause for concern and it is best to call P-Safe:

  • Passing out or throwing up
  • Inability to maintain balance or eye contact
  • Slurred speech
  • Shortness of breath
  • Abnormal body temperature


If you are with someone and aren’t sure if they need medical attention as yet, remember these important guidelines and seek attention if their condition worsens:

  • Prevent the person from drinking more.
  • Stay with the person. If the individual has vomited, lost motor coordination, or is not coherent, seek medical attention. Call P-Safe.
  • Do not assume that they will make it home safely. The full effect of the alcohol may not have hit yet.
  • An unconscious person may not be sleeping; they may be suffering from alcohol poisoning. If they are lying down, put them in the recovery position. Call P-Safe.
  • If someone is stumbling or can’t walk on their own, walking them or carrying them somewhere increases the risk of injury for you and the person. Keep them in one place and call P-Safe.

Remember that university policy encourages calling for help when someone's had too much:

  • You are obligated to call for help for a severely intoxicated person and will not be disciplined for doing so.
  • Neither intoxication nor admission to UHS for intoxication are grounds for disciplinary action.

Bookmark the Princeton UMatter Now mobile website on your phone's homescreen for easy, on-the-spot access.