Creating a Respectful Community
To create a community where disrespect and violence are not tolerated, try taking these steps:
- Be an active bystander and step in when you see something unacceptable. Read through the Top 60 Ways to Stop Interpersonal Violence for ideas. Listen to SHARE Peers' anecdotes of a time when they intervened.
- Check out the Healthy Relationships Wheel if you are unsure what respect and healthy relationships look like.
- Be intentional when choosing your words so as to convey respect and be open to learning how to do it better.
- Go to Action Matters to learn the 3 D's of bystander intervention and how to intervene safely.
- Call out/in disrespectful behavior and set a tone of respect for your community.
- Choose not to laugh at a joke about a person’s social identity.
- Show your support for people who have historically been oppressed by signing a petition, wearing a button, initiating conversations with friends so they know where you stand.
- Walk away or excuse yourself from a situation to communicate your disagreement with what is happening.
- Challenge people to be accountable by not letting them give excuses for harming others or saying harmful things.
- Down vote hurtful social media comments or unfriend people who promote disrespectful views.
- Join The MAVRIC Project and confront toxic masculinity messages that degrade, demean, or objectify women or feminine gender expression.
- Bookmark UMatter Now for more tips and tricks to address unwanted sexual encounters, whether it’s you or a friend that’s involved.